Pages

11.04.2012

Day 2- Chivalry Isn't Dead

*Written on November 2, 2012

Every year, the Young Single Adult program of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in my area holds a special conference. Being in the middle of nowhere with 100 other single adults is so much fun!

We sleep in cabins and have bonfires.

We hang out with our old friends, and make some new ones.

We party till midnight and beyond.

We get warm by the camp fire.

It's a blast.

I went last year and it was SO much fun. I decided that I wanted to come again. And I did. And it's turning out to be just as fun this year as it was last year.

Tonight I had an interesting experience. It reminded me of something.

There's this epic and crazy game called Quelf. My relationship with that game is love/hate. I didn't even play it the whole way through- just near the very end.

Anyways, the game takes forever. Think about Monopoly and multiply by four.


(Yeah, that's me with the sour face...)

We probably started that darn game around 7:30 PM, and finished at around 2:30 AM. Crazy. Long. Game.

And then the two guys that were with us walked us back to our cabin before going to theirs. It was very sweet and kind of them.

It brought me back to my mission days. I remember writing in my journal about how all the elders were so very kind and charitable. All the time. And how they always did little things to help us sisters out.

Like one elder ran after a truck to grab my camera, which I had accidentally left on the bandwagon.

Another elder used to hold the door open until all of the sisters had made it through the door.

The elders always waited for the sister to get their lunch before they got theirs.

At one point, even, all of the elders made the sisters their favorite dinner- sweet pork enchiladas from Cafe Rio. And holy cow...they were awesome cooks.

It surprised me how often these simple things were done for us. It was so foreign to me. I thought that chivalry had died in the 60's (or so).

Of course, I had seen the occasional exception. Like my father, and my grandfather, and a few other guys here and there at school, but I thought they were just that- occasional exceptions. A few random survivors of the feminist and SWAG era.

But then, suddenly there were 16 guys, all about my age, who exhibited those super awesome and super incredible traits. It was almost like a revelation...there are men out there that KNOW. They're out there!

I saw two more of them tonight.

It makes me smile.

Question: What are some simple acts of service that you have found to fit into the "chivalrous" category?

No comments:

Post a Comment

tidbits of wisdom and knowledge